Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sri Lankans working abroad....


Well first of all, let me start with a small but more crucial problem that we, Sri Lankans face in foreign countries.

I came to this country around 4 years back. My job requires to work with many different nationalities and more importantly with different characters coming from various backgrounds.

In the beginning, this environment left me stranded in most of the times, mainly due to the culture shock. This is more apparent to almost all Sri Lankans since we are coming from a very rich & unique culture.

In this sort of a context, it is very very natural that you would be pleased to accompany another Sri Lankan. If you find that rare opportunity, of course there would be thousands of thinks to discuss, share. Our language would be the core of that sort of a company and we always tend to converse in Sinhala or Tamil. Most of the times unknowingly we don't care about the external factors in such situations. This might lead other nationals to be stranded and also lead them to guess what we are speaking.

This would lead other nationals to look at us in a different angle and even might report to the management in the forms of bad reviews.
Therefore, as ambassadors of our paradise island we should start changing this attitude.

We should try to speak in English whenever we are accompanying other nationals. Please don't think that I am gonna write adversarial blog here. No, I really don't want other nationals to think in that manner. We should show them that we are coming from one of the most beautiful countries of the world and also we are coming from probably the best culture in the world.

Let's start individually and it would be a giant leap in the years to come since we need to attract more and more other nationals to visit our magical Island.

6 comments:

  1. Well well well
    First of all I am too glad to see that you’ve started what I’ve kind a forced you to do.

    Of course this is a good start and fortunately you’ve wrote your 1st post what I am doing most of the time when we eat together with other nationalities.

    OK bro, I got that and trust me, you’ll never see again I am doing the same mistake (hopefully ha ha haa) and I do thankful for opening my eye on a small thing but will effect badly to our Sri Lankan community.

    Let’s keep writing bro, you’ve got a special eye which can see the things which we never see.

    Cheeers and Congrats for the first post . ..

    PS: I hope you will write in Sinhala too since I would love to read in my mother tongue due to my poor knowledge of English language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Duka Ayya. Thanks a lot for the inspiration that you gave me. I would have never start this without your guidance. Well, now I feel that I found a very interesting hobby and yahh hope to write regularly. As a matter of fact I am writing this to express my ideas for my own interest. Meantime, I'll write from my mother language too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really nice to see you've started your own blog. Indeed a great start!! Keep it up !

    Of course I agree with you about the advice you're going to convey. Even though we always like to converse in our own language when we meet our own kind, it's more civilize to converse in English when some other who doesn't understand Sinhala also stays there in the circle.

    Hope to see you more in the blog space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Malliya... Thanks Dumi Ayya too. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems to be a begining of a noble service to my motherland... I know friend... you are one of the beloved children of mother Sri Lanka...

    Do carry on your great service towards the betterment of our loving country... There won't be any shackles in your path to your success... We are always behind you to back up in hard times, exactly in the same way how you are being with us...

    Take the initiative in this hour of need... once again, unfortunately, the time has come to ask 'ඇස්‌ ගෙඩි දෙකට හෙන ගැහිලද සිහලුන්නේ'... Open up the minds of our Sinhalese, who pretend that it is closed...

    I'll stop now, 'coz I know that you don't need any praises here...

    ලඝු කර කිව්වොත්...this is a great start...Keep it up...

    Congrtzzz for your first most post in blog space...

    -නිබඳ ඔබේ ජයම පතන කෙනෙක්‌-

    ReplyDelete